It’s Wednesday again, hasn’t that just come around so quickly? I’m typing this on Tuesday evening, layered up in soft blankets and with my fleece zipped up to the top so that half of my face and my neck are protected from the draught – it’s flipping freezing here this afternoon. Here’s what’s been making me smile this week …
- My lovely other half has a new job – wahoo! We went out for tea on Monday night to celebrate, and had gorgeous pennette Bolognese at Pizza Express. I know, I know, why get pasta at a pizza place? Well, my ultimate favourite Italian has been closed since the floods last December and hasn’t reopened yet, so a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. I live for pasta, and this is made with the richest tomato sauce and the most beautiful steak. It’s really delicious, and even though sometimes I think I could probably get away with being vegetarian, there’s something about eating steak that helps me to have a good night’s sleep! Is that a common thing? Or am I probably slightly iron deficient? If you know, leave me a comment, as I’d love to know why it happens!
- Another food post, but really, I’ve made the most delicious lunch the past few days and it would be cruel for me to not share it with you. 6 or 7 mushrooms, sliced and fried in a tiny smidgen of oil until brown, then softened with a spoonful of garlic butter and served on a toasted English muffin. Seasoned with salt and pepper, and maybe a tiny bit of cheese if you fancy it. Oh my goodness. Are you dribbling a little bit at the sound of that, because I am. So quick and easy, and so filling!
- I’ve got a bit of a reputation in my house for naps in my house, I just never seem to have had enough sleep, no matter how long a nap I’ve had or how well I slept the night before. Well, I must have been in dire need of sleep this weekend, as i had a full night’s sleep on Sunday night, slept for two hours on Monday afternoon, and then proceeded to sleep for 11 hours last night. I did feel fresh this morning for the first time in a long time, and it was lovely to wake up in clean sheets with nothing on my agenda. I wonder if it’s the change in the seasons? Then again – maybe it was the steak…
- When I was at secondary school, we had to memorise a speech about our hometown in French. “J’habite à Carlisle, une ville historique et touristique”. Well, more like pre-historique, as Primark opened in our city this week and it has been crazy. It’s been great for the high street this weekend, but I just had to laugh when I went for my lunch break on Saturday and the queues were out of the door. I have strategically popped in a few times when I thought it would be quiet and picked up a few nice bits and pieces. A bumblebee patterned shirt and some dungarees have been the highlights so far, and I’ve got my eye on a cute pair of slippers for when the draught in our house gets too much to bear!
- On Sunday I went to Judy’s Affordable Vintage fair at Rheged and had a lovely time! As much as it’s exciting to have a Primark, there’s more satisfaction to be gained from finding something that nobody else will have! I managed to score a vintage cashmere jumper for £15(!!) that will be gorgeous over the festive period. It’s amazing how well a lot of the pieces have kept over time, and I only wish there was an occasion where it would be appropriate for me to wear a Diana Ross-esque sparkly maxi dress with a massive split up the thigh. Maybe it’s best for all involved that such a occasion doesn’t exist. Hopefully I’ll have a blog post about it soon, I managed to get a few snaps!
Thanks to the creator of Wonderful Wednesday herself , it’s great to share the best bits of my week and read about everyone else’s! Have a #wonderfulwednesday!
Love, Isabelle X